EDUTAINMENT IN A CREATIVE ERA
JANUARY 21ST, 2020
Symposium at Collège La Cité
8:00 to 16:00
Pavillon Excentricité, 801 Aviation Pkwy, Ottawa, ON K1K 4R3
8:00 to 8:45 – Registration / Breakfast
8:45 to 9:00 – Welcome Remarks
• La Cité
9:00 to 9:30 – Opening (Education)
• Oscar Kistabish, Anishnabe Elder, First Nation member of Abitibiwinni, Pikogan community
9:30 to 10:15 – Guest Speaker (Multimedia Storytelling)
• Erick Villeneuve, Director and Visual Designer, Novalux
We tell stories since the beginning of time! In the multimedia era, a picture is worth a thousand words but how much is worth a thousand images created by a story?
In this conference, Erick Villeneuve will discuss how to use technology as a vocabulary to connect the dots of a story to make it memorable, just like our ancestors imagined the link between stars to create recognizable constellations to guide us in the dark.
10:15 to 10:30 – Break
10:30 to 11:15 – Session #1 (The Art of Serious Game Design)
• Naza Djafarova- Game Design and Development, Ryerson University
• Margaret Verkuyl – Subject Matter Expert, Centennial College
• Dr. Paula Mastrilli, Virtual gaming simulation development and research, George Brown College
Ryerson University, Centennial College, and George Brown College designed a methodology to guide multidisciplinary teams to overcome challenges related to communication and collaboration processes, during the ideation phase of pre-production stage of serious games and virtual simulations. Presenters will share their research data and experience and explore using the methodology along with ideation cards and other associated resources.
11:15 to 11:30 – Coffee Break
11:30 to 12:15 – Session #2 (Gamification)
• Eugénie Congi, M. Ed, Surintendante de l’éducation, Conseil des écoles catholiques du Centre-Est (CECCE)
• Benjamin Denis, Marketing Director, Esports Academy of Canada (EAC)
• Antonin Tran, Head Coach, Esports Academy of Canada (EAC)
The electronic sports (Esports) industry is in full expansion and generates several current careers. Educators must pay attention and seize the moment to support 21st Century learners in grabbing advantageous opportunities related to this industry. The Conseil des écoles catholiques du Centre-Est and the Esports Academy of Montreal are collaborating to demonstrate the value of video games and their practice in the school context. Electronic sports help sustain student passion and motivation at school. Supervision and structure offered by educational professional’s help engage students in their studies, develop global skills and ensure healthy lifestyle habits.
12:15 to 13:15 – Lunch
13:15 to 14:15 – Session #3 (Learning Experience)
• Lucie Labelle, M.Sc., Pre-Health Sciences Pathway to Certificates and Diplomas, Coordinator and Professor, La Cité
• Emilie Cormier, P. Eng., Mechanical Engineering Technology, Professor, La Cité
Think. Create. Escape.
This immersive experience is sure to leave a lasting impression on even the most experienced puzzle master!
Be transported to the heart of our classroom where edutainment takes the form of pedagogical Escape Games.
Be surprised at how easy it is to convert theoretical or practical course content into completely engaging, fun and creative classroom Escape Games.
Be convinced that pedagogical Escape Games are the perfect vessel for deeper learning of academic, social and professional skills.
Be confident in adding this authentic and unique learning experience to your own curriculum.
14:15 to 14:30 – Coffee Break
14:30 to 15:30 – Discussion Panel with Q&A
• Facilitator: Michel Singh, Chief Technology Officer, eCampusOntario
15:30 to 16:00 – Networking